changes to Damory operated Dorset County Council
school & public services
The vast majority of local bus services and school services operated by Damory are run on behalf of Dorset County Council and are subsidised. Earlier in the year, Dorset County Council advised Damory that they planned to review the levels of subsidy that they provide and thus, the number of routes that we operate. Dorset County Council has now tendered and awarded new contracts for public bus services and some schools transport services. Primary school contracts have not yet been issued by Dorset County Council (with their completion expected mid July - late July).
The new contracts, which replace those due to expire in July, cover seven public transport routes and 13 secondary / upper schools (plus five middle schools). These new contracts have been awarded to four local bus companies, one of which is Damory.
Damory will operate all of the home-to-school transport for the following schools:
- Allenbourn Middle School, Wimborne
- The Blandford School
- Dorchester Middle School
- Ferndown Middle School
- Ferndown Upper School
- Lytchett Minster School
- Purbeck School, Wareham
- Queen Elizabeth’s School, Wimborne
- Shaftesbury Upper School
- St. Michaels Middle School, Wimborne
- The Thomas Hardye School, Dorchester
- West Moors Middle School
If the school you are looking for is not on the above list, it is likely that it is being served by a different operator. You should contact Dorset County Council on 01305 221000 and they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Contracts for primary school routes have not yet been issued by Dorset County Council (with completion expected in mid July).
More detailed information about the school routes we will be operating will be posted in the coming few weeks, once we receive the data from Dorset Council.
PUBLIC BUS SERVICES
There are a total of around 35 subsidised public bus routes in Dorset which are currently supported by the county council. Only 8 of these existing public transport routes will continue to operate after July, due to the subsidy ceasing.
- Route 20 – Blandford to Salisbury – Damory will operate this service with effect from July 24th 2017 (currently operated by Dorset County Council)
- The existing timetables for routes X12 (Weymouth-Blandford) and 187 (Dorchester-Blandford) will continue to be operated by Damory beyond 24th July, supported by Dorset County Council. These services will continue until further notice, pending a tendering exercise by Dorset County Council.
- Routes X9, X10, X11 and 309 will be operated by alternative bus operators (you should contact Dorset County Council on 01305 221000 and they will be able to direct you to the new operator)
- Damory will commercially operate (without subsidy) certain journeys on the Dorchester town network (routes 1 & 2)
Any routes not listed above will cease to be operated after the 23rd July. Any queries about what travel options are available to replace them should be forwarded to Dorset County Council by calling 01305 221000.
More information about changes to school and public bus routes can be found at: